How Professional Ethics and Human Values by Jayakumar Can Help You in Your Career
Professional Ethics And Human Values By Jayakumar: A Book Review
Are you a professional who wants to learn more about the moral and ethical dimensions of your work? Do you want to improve your ethical awareness and reasoning skills and apply them to your decision making and actions? If yes, then you might want to read this book: Professional Ethics and Human Values by Jayakumar and his co-authors. In this book review, I will tell you what this book is about, who are the authors, why it is important to read this book, what are the main themes and topics covered in the book, and what are the key insights that you can gain from this book. I will also provide a conclusion and some FAQs at the end of this review.
Professional Ethics And Human Values By Jayakumar 15.pdf
Professional Ethics and Human Values is a book that aims at sensitizing the young minds about the moral and ethical dimensions pertaining to a wide range of professions. The post-industrial world has accentuated the emergence of new professions and is crystallizing other modern professions. Not only is it impossible to conceptualize a society without these professions but also these professions play a crucial role in shaping different work cultures, standards, and values. In this process, professions have grown more discrete, albeit with common threads. One of the foundational aspects of any profession is the value and ethical system that it breeds and places itself in, which includes, both, the normative and prescriptive elements concerning the profession and its social obligations. This book opens up a discussion on value systems vis-a-vis forms of professions. It also discusses the basic doctrines of professionals, and ethical and moral development theories.
The authors of this book are Jayakumar, Tanu Shukla, Anupam Yadav, and Gajendra Singh Chauhan. Jayakumar is a professor of philosophy at Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani. He has more than 25 years of teaching experience and has published several books and papers on philosophy, ethics, logic, and Indian culture. Tanu Shukla is an assistant professor of humanities and social sciences at BITS Pilani. She has more than 10 years of teaching experience and has published several papers on ethics, gender studies, media studies, and cultural studies. Anupam Yadav is an assistant professor of humanities and social sciences at BITS Pilani. He has more than 8 years of teaching experience and has published several papers on ethics, political philosophy, social justice, and human rights. Gajendra Singh Chauhan is an assistant professor of humanities and social sciences at BITS Pilani. He has more than 7 years of teaching experience and has published several papers on ethics, environmental philosophy, sustainability, and development.
It is important to read this book because it provides a comprehensive and systematic introduction to professional ethics and human values for various professions such as business, engineering, medical, education, media, and environmental ethics. It also covers global issues such as the globalized workforce, intellectual property rights, and legal, political, and banking ethics in the light of national and international perspectives. It gauges the development of ethical systems and decision building by presenting empirical discourses as case studies across the spectrum of various modern professions that have evolved to be an integral part of the society. This book will help you to understand the ethical principles and codes that guide your profession, to identify and analyze the ethical issues and dilemmas that you may face in your work, to develop ethical awareness and reasoning skills that will enable you to make ethical decisions and actions, and to contribute to the ethical development of your profession and society.
Overview of the book
The book is structured into nine chapters that cover different aspects of professional ethics and human values. The first chapter introduces the concept of professions and professional ethics, the second chapter discusses various ethical theories that can help us understand moral issues, the third chapter deals with business ethics, the fourth chapter focuses on engineering ethics, the fifth chapter explores medical ethics, the sixth chapter examines professional ethics in education, the seventh chapter addresses environmental ethics, the eighth chapter investigates media ethics, and the ninth chapter covers global issues and ethical perspectives. Each chapter begins with a brief introduction to the topic followed by a detailed discussion of various sub-topics with examples and case studies. Each chapter also ends with a summary of key points, review questions for self-assessment, references for further reading, web links for additional resources.
The main themes and topics covered in the book are as follows:
Professions And Professional Ethics
Challenges- Ethical Decision Making And Action- Professional Development And Ethics Education
- Ethical Theories: Meaning And Purpose- Teleological Theories: Consequentialism And Utilitarianism- Deontological Theories: Kantian Ethics And Duty Ethics- Virtue Ethics: Aristotle And Confucius- Feminist Ethics: Care Ethics And Relational Ethics- Principlism: Four Principles Of Biomedical Ethics- Ethical Pluralism: Ross And Gewirth- Ethical Relativism: Cultural And Subjective Relativism- Ethical Egoism: Psychological And Ethical Egoism- Application Of Ethical Theories To Professional Issues
- Business Ethics: Meaning And Scope- Importance Of Business Ethics For Society And Economy- Stakeholders Of Business Ethics: Customers, Employees, Shareholders, Suppliers, Competitors, Government, Community, Environment- Ethical Issues And Dilemmas In Business: Consumer Rights And Protection, Employee Rights And Responsibilities, Corporate Governance And Social Responsibility, Fair Trade And Competition, Bribery And Corruption, Whistleblowing And Corporate Fraud, Privacy And Confidentiality, Intellectual Property Rights And Piracy- Ethical Standards And Codes For Business Professionals: International Business Ethics Institute (IBEI), Global Business Standards Codex (GBSC), Institute Of Business Ethics (IBE), Caux Round Table Principles For Business (CRT), United Nations Global Compact (UNGC)- Ethical Decision Making And Leadership In Business: Ethical Decision Making Models, Ethical Leadership Styles, Ethical Culture And Climate In Organizations
- Engineering Ethics: Meaning And Significance- Importance Of Engineering Ethics For Safety And Well-Being Of People And Environment- Stakeholders Of Engineering Ethics: Engineers, Employers, Clients, Users, Society, Nature- Ethical Issues And Dilemmas In Engineering: Safety And Risk Management, Quality And Reliability, Honesty And Integrity, Accountability And Liability, Conflict Of Interest And Loyalty, Professional Competence And Development, Environmental Protection And Sustainability, Social Justice And Human Rights- Ethical Responsibilities And Obligations Of Engineers: Engineering Code Of Ethics By National Society Of Professional Engineers (NSPE), Fundamental Canons Of Engineering Ethics By Accreditation Board For Engineering And Technology (ABET), Aspirational Principles Of Engineering Ethics By American Society Of Civil Engineers (ASCE)- Ethical Decision Making And Practice In Engineering: Ethical Decision Making Frameworks, Ethical Problem Solving Techniques, Ethical Communication Skills, Ethical Teamwork Skills
- Medical Ethics: Meaning And Relevance- Importance Of Medical Ethics For Health And Dignity Of Patients And Society- Stakeholders Of Medical Ethics: Doctors, Nurses, Patients, Families, Society- Ethical Issues And Dilemmas In Medical Practice: Informed Consent And Autonomy, Beneficence And Non-Maleficence, Justice And Equity, Confidentiality And Privacy, Truthfulness And Trustworthiness, Respect For Persons And Dignity, Compassion And Empathy- Ethical Principles And Codes For Medical Professionals: Hippocratic Oath, Declaration Of Geneva, International Code Of Medical Ethics By World Medical Association (WMA), Principles Of Medical Ethics By American Medical Association (AMA), Code Of Ethics For Nurses By International Council Of Nurses (ICN)- Ethical Decision Making And Care In Medicine: Ethical Decision Making Models, Clinical Ethics Consultation, Palliative Care And End-Of-Life Care, Organ Donation And Transplantation
Professional Ethics In Education
- Professional Ethics In Education: Meaning And Scope- Importance Of Professional Ethics In Education For Quality And Equity Of Education- Stakeholders Of Professional Ethics In Education: Educators, Students, Parents, Colleagues, Administrators,Society- Ethical Issues And Dilemmas In Education: Academic Freedom And Integrity,Student Assessment And Evaluation,Curriculum Design And Development,Pedagogical Methods And Strategies,Diversity And Inclusion,Bullying And Harassment,Cheating And Plagiarism,Research Ethics- Ethical Roles And Duties Of Educators: Code Of Ethics For Educators By National Education Association (NEA), Code Of Professional Conduct For Teachers By Teaching Council, Code Of Ethics For Professional Teachers By Philippine Regulatory Commission, Ethical Standards For School Counselors By American School Counselor Association (ASCA)- Ethical Decision Making And Leadership In Education: Ethical Decision Making Processes, Ethical Leadership Models, Ethical Culture And Climate In Schools
- Environmental Ethics: Meaning And Scope- Importance Of Environmental Ethics For Sustainability And Harmony Of Nature And Humanity- Stakeholders Of Environmental Ethics: Environmental Professionals, Policy Makers, Businesses, Consumers, Society, Nature- Ethical Issues And Opportunities In Environmental Work: Pollution And Waste Management, Climate Change And Global Warming, Biodiversity And Conservation, Renewable And Non-Renewable Energy Sources, Genetic Engineering And Biotechnology, Animal Rights And Welfare- Ethical Principles And Values For Environmental Professionals: Code Of Ethics For Environmental Professionals By National Association Of Environmental Professionals (NAEP), Code Of Ethics For Environmental Engineers By American Academy Of Environmental Engineers And Scientists (AAEES), Code Of Ethics For Ecologists By Ecological Society Of America (ESA), Environmental Values By International Union For Conservation Of Nature (IUCN)- Ethical Decision Making And Action In Environmental Work: Ethical Decision Making Frameworks, Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Audit, Environmental Education And Awareness
- Media Ethics: Meaning And Scope- Importance Of Media Ethics For Freedom And Responsibility Of Media Professionals And Consumers- Stakeholders Of Media Ethics: Journalists, Editors, Publishers, Broadcasters, Advertisers, Public Relations Officers, Media Users, Society- Ethical Issues And Challenges In Media Work: Accuracy And Objectivity, Fairness And Balance, Privacy And Confidentiality, Sensationalism And Bias, Plagiarism And Fabrication, Deception And Manipulation, Violence And Obscenity, Stereotyping And Discrimination- Ethical Standards And Codes For Media Professionals: Code Of Ethics For Journalists By Society Of Professional Journalists (SPJ), Code Of Ethics For Broadcasters By National Association Of Broadcasters (NAB), Code Of Ethics For Advertisers By American Advertising Federation (AAF), Code Of Ethics For Public Relations By Public Relations Society Of America (PRSA)- Ethical Decision Making And Practice In Media Work: Ethical Decision Making Models,Ethical Journalism And Communication,Media Literacy And Criticism,Media Accountability And Regulation
Global Issues And Ethical Perspectives
- Global Issues That Affect Various Professions And Require Ethical Awareness And Solutions:Globalization And Its Impacts,Intellectual Property Rights And Their Implications,Legal And Political Ethics And Their Challenges,Banking And Financial Ethics And Their Risks,Cybersecurity And Cyberethics And Their Concerns,Humanitarian And Development Ethics And Their Opportunities- How To Adopt A Global Perspective And Respect Diverse Cultures, Values, And Norms In Professional Work:Cross-Cultural Communication And Negotiation Skills,Intercultural Sensitivity And Competence,Multiculturalism And Pluralism,Cosmopolitanism And Global Citizenship- How To Contribute To Global Justice, Peace, And Development Through Ethical Involvement And Collaboration:Human Rights And Human Dignity,Social Responsibility And Social Change,Global Governance And Global Institutions,Global Solidarity And Global Action
In this book review, I have given you an overview of the book Professional Ethics and Human Values by Jayakumar and his co-authors. This book is a comprehensive and systematic introduction to professional ethics and human values for various professions such as business, engineering, medical, education, media, and environmental ethics. It also covers global issues such as the globalized workforce, intellectual property rights, and legal, political, and banking ethics in the light of national and international perspectives. It gauges the development of ethical systems and decision building by presenting empirical discourses as case studies across the spectrum of various modern professions that have evolved to be an integral part of the society.
that they may face in their work, to develop ethical awareness and reasoning skills that will enable them to make ethical decisions and actions, and to contribute to the ethical development of their profession and society. This book is also useful for students and teachers who want to learn and teach about professional ethics and human values in various disciplines and domains.
I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in professional ethics and human values. It is a well-written, well-researched, and well-organized book that covers a wide range of topics and issues in a clear and concise manner. It is also a engaging and interesting book that uses examples and case studies to illustrate the ethical concepts and principles. It is a book that will challenge you to think critically and creatively about your profession and your values.
Q1: Who is Jayakumar, one of the authors of this book?
A1: Jayakumar is a professor of philosophy at Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani. He has more than 25 years of teaching experience and has published several books and papers on philosophy, ethics, logic, and Indian culture.
Q2: Where can I buy this book online?
A2: You can buy this book online from various websites such as Amazon, Flipkart, Google Books, etc. You can also buy the ebook version from Cengage Learning International.
Q3: How can I use this book as a reference for my academic or professional work?
A3: You can use this book as a reference for your academic or professional work by citing it properly according to the citation style that you are using. For example, if you are using APA style, you can cite this book as follows:
Jayakumar, T. Shukla, A. Yadav, & G.S. Chauhan (2018). Professional ethics and human values. Cengage Learning International.
Q4: What are some other books on professional ethics that I can read?
A4: Some other books on professional ethics that you can read are:
Professional Ethics And Human Values by M. Govindarajan, S. Natarajan, & V.S. Senthilkumar (2013). PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
Professional Ethics by R. Subramanian (2013). Oxford University Press.
Professional Ethics And Human Values by A. Alavudeen & R. Kalil Rahman (2010). Firewall Media.
Professional Ethics In Engineering by Mike W. Martin & Roland Schinzinger (2004). Pearson Education India.
Professional Ethics And Etiquette by Ferguson Publishing (2009). Infobase Publishing.
Q5: How can I contact the authors of this book for feedback or queries?
A5: You can contact the authors of this book for feedback or queries by emailing them at their official email addresses at BITS Pilani. You can also visit their personal websites or profiles on ResearchGate or Google Scholar for more information about their work and publications. 71b2f0854b